Midlands State University Gender Institute
Midlands State University Gender Institute – See Details of Midlands State University (MSU) Gender Institute
Given the Midlands State University’s commitment to gender equality and equity, the Gender Institute was constituted on the 14th of December 2018 to become a centre of excellence and a milestone in combating gender issues experienced by males and females in society.
To be an outstanding interdisciplinary development oriented institute of excellence in gender research, teaching, advocacy and gender empowerment
To be a unique centre of excellence in interdisciplinary gender research, community engagement, teaching and training for gender justice.
A core element of the institute’s programmes and activities
The Institute promotes gender competencies among the Zimbabwean citizenry through:
- Offering a gender module across the university
- Offering short courses which include gender
- mainstreaming, gender budgeting etc.
Coordinating individual and collaborative gender focused research which studies the impact of gender differences on society. This is achieved through:
- Facilitating workshops, symposium and conferences on gender related research.
- Publishing gender focused research in peer reviewed research journals
- Publishing gender interdisciplinary journals and brochures
For Gender Equality
A process intended to bring about change at both the individual and system level. This is done through:
- Increasing community awareness about Gender Related Issues
- Influencing law and policy making
- Improving response to gender inequality issues through public lectures, outreach programmes, public seminars, radio talks and campaigns.
Working with groups, agencies and organizations to strengthen the gender focus of the institute, university and the nation in order to promote the rights of those who are marginalized within society through:
- Preparing gender research proposals for individuals, groups and organisations.
- Conducting individual and collaborative gender focused research
- Building up and running a gender research repository for individuals and organisations.
Working collaboratively with community groups to address gender issues that impact their well-being through:
- Providing referal and counselling services to persons in need.
- Making gender research and teaching more visible in the community through public seminars and lectures.
- Promoting gender responsive programmes, projects and interventions in the communities.
- Contributing to policy briefs and legal acts.
- Promoting gender awareness and empowered communities through increased gender literacy
Kindly share with us your comments and suggestions by filling the comment box below. We shall respond to you ASAP