Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo Polytechnic Gwanda
Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo Polytechnic Gwanda – Started under the Zimbabwe Integrated Teacher Education Course, (ZINTEC) a post independent programme to address critical teacher shortage within an expanded education system in Zimbabwe. A new conventional college is currently under construction.
See Also: Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo Polytechnic Intake
- Type: Primary Teachers’ College
- Responsible Authority: Government
- Principal: Mr M Dube
- Year Established: 1981
- Address: Private Bag 5832 Gwanda
- Phone: 084-2390 or 2315
- Fax: 084-2203
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Location: 2km south of Gwanda town, Beit Bridge road.
- Capacity: 1625
- Staff Establishment: 45
- TRAINING AREAS
- Name of Programme: Diploma in Education (Primary)
- Course Structure:
- Section 1: Teaching Practice-baseline skills in teaching all the aspects of the Primary School subjects are developed over a period of 8 Terms in schools in selected provinces.
- Section 2: Theory of Education subjects: History and Philosophy of Education, Sociology and Anthropology of Education, Psychology of Education, and Curriculum Studies. The Department also offers Special Education, Guidance and Counselling and Comparative Education.
- Section 3: Academic Study-, also referred to in ZINTEC Colleges as Curriculum Depth Study (CDS). Students choose 1 from the following areas: English, Shona, Ndebele, Religious and Moral Education, Environmental Science, Art, Mathematics, Social Studies.
- Section 4: Professional Studies Syllabus A – this deals with application of Theories and Principles of Teaching and Learning.
- Professional Studies Syllabus B includes the 12 Continued. Based subjects offered in Primary Schools and their specific variations in teaching approaches. These are Physical Education, Music, Religious and Moral Education, Social Studies, Home Economics, English, Mathematics, Environmental Science, Art, Shona and Ndebele and Aids Education. Students are expected to pass by a combination of Sub-sections 1 and 2.
- Entry Requirements: At least five O-Level passes including English. A student doing an in-depth study in a subject should have passed the subject with A ‘C’ or better at ‘O’ Level.
- Duration: The course has three components comprising a first two term’s residential course, eight terms teaching practice and a final residential course of two terms. Distance Education forms the core of this programme with the doing much of this course through assignments and seminars while on teaching practice.
- Certificating Body: University of Zimbabwe